- The SELECT statement retrieves data from a database.
- The data is returned in a table-like structure called a result-set.
- SELECT is the most frequently used action on a database.
- The syntax of a language describes the language elements.
- SQL statements are somewhat like simple English sentences.
- Keywords include SELECT, UPDATE, WHERE, ORDER BY, etc.
- ANSI Standard SQL is the lingua franca for relational databases.
What is SQL?
- SQL is a language used to retrieve and manipulate data in a RDMS.
- SQL stands for Structured Query Language.
What is a Database?
- A database is a place to store data.
- A relational database system (RDMS) stores data in tables.